On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 03:46:21PM +0100, Roger Horne wrote:
> The TeXbook, p 117:
>   "Authors who are interested in good exposition should avoid footnotes
>   whenever possible, since footnotes tend to be distracting[*].
>
>   [*] Yet Gibbon's <i>Decline and Fall</i> would not have been the same
>   without footnotes."

I'm reading that[1] right now.  I have it in a lovely six-volume set[2],
but I also bought an electronic edition from <http://www.peanutpress.com>
cos it's much easier to read on the train.  It has the footnotes
hyperlinked from the body text, which is good.

What is not good is that the hyperlink takes you to a page which has all
the footnotes for the entire chapter on it, so you have to scroll to find
the right one.  What *should* happen is that the hyperlink should pop up
the footnote over the top of the body text.  Bah.

1 - Gibbon, not the TeXbook[3][4]
2 - Everyman edition, 50 quid for all six IIRC, from the British Museum
    shop.
3 - sorry for the footnotes, I couldn't resist
4 - but I bet Gibbon would use TeX if he were alive today

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson