On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 03:56:29PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> If you went in in person and couldn't show *any* id (credit card, ATM,
> library card, etc, etc) that could corroborate your impostering nature
> I doubt you'd get far either.

I arrived in London once and realised I'd left my wallet in my car
in the car-park of the airport in Belfast, leaving me with no money and
no ID.

So, I got on the Heathrow Express, and explained to the bemused ticket
people (after leaving the station, of course) that no, I had not ticket,
and no, I had no money, and no, I had no identification. (Well, it's not
like they were going to stop the train and throw me off!) They eventually
just took my details, said they'd mail me a bill, and never did.

Then, at Paddington, I went into a Midland Bank, and explained what had
happened, and they gave me a phone to call First Direct, clear security
the normal way, and arrange for money to be made available to me over
the counter at that branch.

I was impressed at how easy it was.

It certainly made my day easier.

Tony