Paul Makepeace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 12:25:46AM +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 04:22:06PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>> > What did you tell them? I'm struggling to imagine they handed over money
>> > just by you giving them your name.
>>
>> I bank with First Direct normally, which is a telephone bank. So I was able
>> to go through the normal phone banking security for them to identify me.
>> Letters from password, mother's maiden name, memorable date / address etc...
>
> OK, that's a relief. I have FD too and have been mightily impressed
> on occasion as well.

A friend of mine phones First Direct on his birthday:

Call Centre person: Hello, First Direct, can I take you through
    security. What's your post code?
Friend: XY12 3AB
CCP: And your surname and first initial
Friend: D R 'Bob' Dobbs # Not his real name, cut me some slack
CCP: Ah, happy birthday Mr Dobbs
CCP: From your password Mr Dobbs could have letter number 1?
Bob: a
CCP: And letter number 2
Bob: b
CCP: And what's your date of birth. Oops.

Not that this is exactly germane to this discussion, I just thought it
might amuse you.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?