On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:37:34AM +0100, Chris Carline wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:15:19AM +0100, Brad Bollenbach wrote:
> > So my question is, if you can get a decent enough website going to make
> > thousands and thousands of people click on a "Send" button (Hotmail) or
> > a "Google Search" button, how then do you have any hope of actually
> > making money off that?
>
> Charge users a monthly subscription fee for the privilige of clicking
> that button. Or implement additional button services for subscribers.

Eeek...I wouldn't use this service for a fee, so I definitely don't see
that many other people doing so. But if it were *free*, I'd use it at
least 5 times per day. In this particular instance though, each click
might cost me (as in, The Company) between 5 and 10p. So I'd need to
find a revenue for each click that, given the expected volume of clicks
would make me more than 5 to 10p each time.

On an aside, I particularly like this quote from The Motley Fool
(http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/2000/rulemaker001218.htm):

Commercial use of the Internet was never about making more money. It was
about spending less of it. The Internet is a really cheap way of
communicating, and businesses can use it to interact with their
customers internationally, around the clock, and in a completely
automated way. This doesn't inherently cause customers to give up floods
of cash, but it can dramatically lower costs, allowing even moderate
sales to yield much higher margins.

Useful insight.

Brad