Do you use Perl 5.8.0? Why?
Yes, because I always use the latest versions of all open source software. Failure to use the latest version of any open source program means that all requests for support or help in solving problems will be met with "Try upgrading to the latest version", regardless of whether anyone really thinks anything that was changed between version 3.5.34 and 3.5.35 could possibly have an effect on the reported problem. Your feeble protests about the complexity, risk, and expense of moving your massive application to a new version will impress no-one.

Perl is probably an honourable exception to this rule, but that's not enough to stop me :-)

My ability to program perl is small enough that I stopped being able to take advantage of any new features some years ago. I'm aware of a few modules I use that require 5.6.1, so I assume that sooner or later some module with require 5.8, and I'd rather not have to suddenly upgrade perl then if I can do a planned upgrade now.

Jonathan Peterson
Technical Manager, Unified Ltd, +44 (0)20 7383 6092
[EMAIL PROTECTED]