Leon wrote:

> The latest, most-tested-ever, stable version of Perl, version 5.8.0
> was released on 18th July 2002, which is a while ago. We use it at
> work for development and on the new production servers. I don't use it
> on my personal colo box (it has so much stuff running it'd be a pain
> to update).

Yes.  Magnus asked me if I wanted to host the advent calendar on dabox as
it (at the time) had more bandwidth.   I replied "No, it's running a
prehistoric version of Perl" (5.6.0 - yech!)

> Are you using it?  Why?

I'm running 5.8.0 on my laptop, my colobox, and my work desktop because
that's what installed when I typed apt-get.  No, scratch that.  I'm
running debian unstable mainly because it had 5.8.0 in it (yes, I know
about  pin.)

I'm running 5.8.0 on my production boxes at work because I needed some
features or bugfixes.  I think there were some annoying memory leaks.  Oh,
and I used perlio for something if memory serves.  We still have at least
one 5.6.0 box that haven't been upgraded.  Normally it's because these
machines run mod_perl so touching 5.6 would break them.

Personally, the main reason I'm running 5.8 is because that's what Pixie
runs on.  There are other reasons - it requires less modules to install.
With 5.6.1 whenever I set up a new box I'd have to install twenty or so
"must have" modules.  Most of these are bundled with 5.8.0.

Mark.

P.S. 5.6.0?  Shall I get you some rocks to bash together too?

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]