On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Before I write one... Has anyone heard of a simple contained script or
> tool to create & edit .htaccess and .htpasswd files? I got bored of
> doing it by hand after my first two. Web-based would be nice but a
> parser/generator would be a great start.
>
> (Some cursorily flirting with google produced nothing AFAICS.)

search.cpan.org suggests Config::ApacheFormat [1] Apache::ConfigFile [2]
and Apache::ConfigParser [3] although none will do what you want they
might be a starter for a parser.

There was some discussion on the nms-devel list a while back about
creating such a beast. It would be cool to tie the projects together.

It shouldn't be too hard to parse out just the bits you want from an
.htaccess file, esp. as just about the only thing people use them for
these days is for configuring security without restarting the web server,
in my experience.

Let me know if you want a hand with it.

Simon.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/author/SAMTREGAR/Config-ApacheFormat-1.1/