On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Shevek wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
> > Before I write one... Has anyone heard of a simple contained script or
> > tool to create & edit .htaccess and .htpasswd files? I got bored of
> > doing it by hand after my first two. Web-based would be nice but a
> > parser/generator would be a great start.
>
> The htpasswd utility distributed with Apache?
>
> .htaccess is a config file and editing that is too complex for a tool.

There's no reason why a tool shouldn't handle the majority of .htaccess
files. Agreed it gets complicated if you want to handle all possible
variations but for a clearly proscribed set of options it should be fairly
do-able.

Beyond that you can always add a plugin mechanism to cope with third-party
modules and the like.

Simon.

--
"The school band will now murder 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful'"