On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:58:55PM +0000, the hatter wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
> > Before I write one... Has anyone heard of a simple contained script or
> > tool to create & edit .htaccess and .htpasswd files? I got bored of
> > doing it by hand after my first two. Web-based would be nice but a
> > parser/generator would be a great start.
>
> I have one, somewhere, that I wrote in my more innocent years... I would
> have started reworking it already as I'm needing one currently... but the
> lack of crypt() on the machine hosting the site put me off that.  If you

Why don't you just post it?

> want to write one that does the things you need, I'll happily take it and
> add the bits that I need it to do.  I'll be wanting to work with .htgroup
> too.  Sounds like you're more interested in the initial setup stuff,
> whereas I'm more concerned about ongoing management by admins and users.

No, the "edit" is the magic word here. I want a web interface so admins
& users can f*ck things up for themselves without relying on me to f*ck
things up for them.

Kake irc::suggested Apache::Htaccess which you'd think would be a
winner but sadly it's saddled with a rather odd interface and an
internal representation of the data (array of (command, "@args")) that
I don't see making much patchable sense from. Its add/set commands are
awful - calling ->directive(AuthFileUser => ".htpasswd"); destroys all
the *other* directives and the DESTROY ->save method ensures there's no
remains. It has no user-related methods, just groups, AFAICT.

I'm going to do something that involves loading the file into a scalar
and then s///ing it with more traditional OO interface semantics.

If httpd.conf was real XML this would be a piece of cake. Hmm.

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If today is the first day of the rest of your life, then grab your
 coathanger!"
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/