On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 05:03:49 -0500
> From: Elaine -HFB- Ashton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: The Perl Color?
>
> Rafael Garcia-Suarez [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:
> *>
> *>Because there are no perl nuns ?
> *>(seems to me that a discussion with "monks" necessarily
> *>involves "brothers")
>
> I registered the domain 'perlnuns.org' a long time ago but it never really
> got going due to a decided lack of women and interest. It was likely for
> the best though as perl already has enough of a religious and cultish
> cachet.

For some reason, I hadn't really put much thought into the fact that
"monks" implied a male-only group in that context. Cue rerun of Life of
Brian.

I can't imagine wanting to join a "for the girls" Perl group, since I've
not met anyone in any Perlmongers group that has made any negative,
patronising or surprised comments about the fact that I'm a girl who does
Perl. In my experience, it's only non-techies that get shocked by it.

Besides, "mongeress" just sounds silly.

Ali

--
Ali Young