On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:11:41PM +0200, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Elaine -HFB- Ashton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I registered the domain 'perlnuns.org' a long time ago but it never really
> > got going due to a decided lack of women and interest. It was likely for
> > the best though as perl already has enough of a religious and cultish
> > cachet.
> And if you're depicting oneself as a monk, this could be an avatari of
> that awesome fellow of Robin Hood, (what's his name?), who prefers
> beverages to prayers.
> On the other hand, nobody wants to be a nun.

This made me wonder, what is the origin of the term "Monk"?
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/ (which seems to be an old version of the
jargon file) doesn't know of an entry, and comes up mostly with stuff for
"monkey" on a search. Even http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/lexicon.html
doesn't list it.

I'm guessing that it derives from the ASR => SDM thing, and the way in
which sysadmins got called "Monks" as a result of that anagram. Anyone
know this?

Curious of Chiswick.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002