From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Ketan Talaulikar
<ketant.i...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:20 AM
To: Tony Li <tony...@tony.li>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Fwd: New Version Notification for
draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv-01.txt

Hi Tony & Co-authors,

The introduction of the capabilities (at this stage) might be a challenge given
existing implementations that do multi-part TLVs and are shipping and deployed.
If this was intended mainly to aid debugging and for the operator to evaluate
the capabilities in the network, it might be helpful. However, triggering
anything based on network-wide capability determination might turn out to be
problematic.

There was this text in v00 of the draft in sec 3 (perhaps it should have been
in sec 4).

   Note: If the fixed portion of a TLV includes information that is NOT

   part of the key and the non-key elements of the fixed portion of the

   TLV (metric and other bits in the control octet in the example below)

   differ, the values in the first TLV present in the lowest numbered

   LSP MUST be used.

This seems to have been omitted from v01. Not sure if this was specifically
intended and if so, I think the above text is important to clarify.

There is also this more general thing about sub-TLVs that are supposed to be
advertised only once and if there are multiple instances of them (this might
happen in transient situations), then the instance in the lowest
number/fragment is considered valid and others ignored. There are specs that
say this, but perhaps there are others that don't? So can this be also
considered for addition as a "general" rule even though it is slightly
different from the multi-part TLV focus of the draft?

And thanks for keeping the discussion on clarifications of keys (at least for a
few important sub-TLV/TLV) still on the table :-)

Thanks,
Ketan

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 6:39 AM Tony Li