Hi Gunter,

> I am having troubles understanding the value of ‘The Multi-part TLV
> Capability’ flag.
> What would break if ‘Multi-part TLV Capability’ flag would not exist?

A system that supported MP-TLVs would not be able to determine that there were
other systems in the area that did not support MP-TLVs.  The system might then
advertise MP-TLVs and they would be misinterpreted or cause system crashes in
the systems that did not support them.

> IS-IS has been working well for many years. Why would that suddenly change
> and mandate existence and complexity of a ‘Multi-part TLV Capability’ flag?

If we want to introduce MP-TLVs, that change would warrant the existence of the
flag.  I dispute that a binary flag warrants the word ‘complexity’.

> Note: thoughts about the flag: What if a system by accident sends
> flip-flopping (set/unset/set/unset/etc) of this flag?

Then other systems might misinterpret the results and generate inconsistent
TLVs.  That would be bad.

> What if an advertising system support multi-tlv for TLV ‘A’ but not for TLV
> ‘B’?

We are not allowing that level of granularity.  A system that is going to
support MP-TLVs should take care to operate correctly for ALL TLVs before
advertising that it supports them.

Tony