On Nov 2, 2006, at 22:11 , Andrew Hume wrote:

On Nov 2, 2006, at 9:45 PM, Narayan Desai wrote:
While the high-level goals would be nicer, I tend to focus on
deployment mechanics because they are easier to work with IMO.

with all due respect, this attitude of "i'll do teh config magic because
its easier" rather than pursuing doing what the user actually wants,
contributes greatly to the marginality of our pursuits here.

but i'm getting tired and crabby. i'll defer further comment til i'm rested.

Hm. My take on that is that I more than half expect the current notions of "high level views" to turn out to be phlogiston theories --- but we're not going to come up with anything better unless *someone* is out there poking at it, from every possible angle.

Which, among other things, means that we can't really address "what the user actually wants", and won't be able to for some time to come --- we need to evolve to that level.

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]