Jim,

 > Horst,
 >
 > Could you find out the PCI Device and Vendor ID numbers?
I'll try. Just a moment ...

 > Some bios implementations will display that information as part of the
 > bootup sequence.
No, the bios only tells me the slot and IRQ.

But somewhere I've got a hard drive with linux on it.
Found it!

 > Or, if you could put that network card in a machine with a hard drive,
 > do a   lspci -n
 > and send me the results.  Maybe it just isn't in the niclist file.
Now I booted my client from this hard drive and
"lspci" says:
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)

"lspci -n" says:
00:09.0 Class 0200: 10ec:8029

Thanks,

Horst