From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 March 2002 01:17
To: John Ingleby
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] XF86Conf problems with Book PC

John,

I've got a new answer and I think it is the best way to handle this.

It turns out that you just need to tell XFree86 4.1.0 to use less
memory on the video card.

You noticed that it was trying to use 8192k of memory and reported
that only 3068 was available.  So, the thing to do is tell
X to only use 3068k.

Add this entry to your lts.conf file:

   X_VIDEORAM = 3068

Now, you'd think that if XFree86 is smart enough to know how
much ram is really there, it would just automatically use 3068k,
but for some reason, it doesn't do that, forcing you to either
add the above entry, or add more ram to the workstation.

Anyway, I tested this on one of my workstations that has 32mb
of ram and an i810 and it works great.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, John Ingleby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list, and fairly new to Linux and LTSP, but I hope someone
> can answer this.
>
> For my terminal I'm using a BK-01 Book PC with 400MHz Celeron and 32Mb.
> After adding the line XSERVER = "i810" in lts.conf, my Book PC boots up
and
> starts loading X, but then the screen flashes before showing the
following:

>     (WW) I810(0): 8192k of memory was requested, but the maximum AGP
>          memory available is 3068k
>     (EE) I810(0): Less than 6MB of AGP memory available. Cannot proceed.
>
> How can I reduce the memory requested by LTSP? (or, better, increase AGP
> memory available on the Book PC?)
>
> Unfortunately, there is very little information about Book PC, so I tried
This