On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:01:26PM +0200, Tarjei wrote:

> >In order to use X 4.2 on S3 cards, I tried to install binaries from
> >xfree86.org directly into the /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6, and it worked.
> >There was a problem with the keymaps though, and I didn't have the
> >time to solve that.
> >
> >Why would you have to build X from sources?
> >
> Good q. Hmm. I'll try this asap :)
>
> What keymaps?

I gave it another shot, and solved it.

HOWTO get X 4.2 working with LTSP clients (probably most interesting
if you have workstations with S3 chips. S3 was not supported under X
4.1)

1. Grab the folling files from the /pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc22/
   directory at ftp.xfree86.org: (or better, at your favourite mirror)

- Xxserv.tgz
- Xmod.tgz
- Xvar.tgz
- Xetc.tgz
- Xlib.tgz

For the commands below to work as printed, download these files to
/tmp/

2. Backup the working X11R6 dir

cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/
mv X11R6 X11R6.old
mkdir X11R6
cd X11R6

3. untar Xlib, Xmod, Xxserv, Xvar

tar -zxvf /tmp/Xlib.tgz
tar -zxvf /tmp/Xmod.tgz
tar -zxvf /tmp/Xxserv.tgz
tar -zxvf /tmp/Xvar.tgz

Now if I try to start a ws with a S3 chip, I get the following error message:

Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved!
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

4. Resolve some /etc issues

cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
tar -zxvf /tmp/Xetc.tgz xserver/ # avoids the error message about
                                 # opening of the SecurityPolicy above

tar -zxvf /tmp/Xetc.tgz xkb/

This gives X the keymaps directory. Normally, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
is a link to /etc/X11/xkb but there is no /etc/X11 in ltsp. That was
the root of my previous problems with keymaps.

5. Edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

Replace "XF86_S3" with "s3" as in
    XSERVER           = s3
for the workstations that has S3 chips.

6. Fire up a workstation and test.

Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved!

This error remains, but X seems to work alright to me.

7. Don't forget XF86_SVGA

If you use XF86_SVGA for some workstations, copy that file from
/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6.old/bin/ to the new X11R6/bin/.

8. Clean up

When you are sure that things work as they should (I have only tested
that the workstations can log in KDE), you can remove the old X11R6
directory.

rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6.old

--

Hans Ekbrand