On Sun, 12 May 2002 16:09:47 +0200 Remi BERNHARD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm fairly new to the list, but I have a laptop too, with a 3com 589c
>Ethernet card (nic).
>This is (IMHO) a very commom pcmcia nic isn't it ??
>Well, I go to the great "rom--o-matic" site, and I found nothing related to
>my pcmcia nic ... ! :(
>Anyone could have an Idea of what I could do to solve this ...

Remi,

Etherboot (and so rom-o-matic.net) does not currently support PCMCIA
adapters in laptops.
It's hard to do because the PCMCIA subsystem is another layer that has to
be found and initialized, and it is non-trivial.  We are moving in that
direction, and I suspect in the next year we may get there.

Since you have a laptop, which presumably has a hard disk, you could
create and load a real kernel which is what Etherboot would do for you.
You could then run as a remote client to an LTSP server.

Someday Etherboot may support PCMCIA on laptops, but for now, you'll have
to load a kernel from other media.

Marty

--
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Marty Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827;
         Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935; Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/