On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> Hi John,
> from my experience I had seg faults for different reasons.
> Hardware related:
> One was bad ram, the other a bad mobo (on our ltsp-machines).
> I also had seg faults on my personal machine for different (software related).
> Check if it's defietely not a hardware prob.
> (This is from the view of a "non"-programmer :) - perhaps there's two
> different kinds of seg-faults)
> regards,

Yes, I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, as the machine is new;
but you're right - could be bad RAM or whatever.  In any case a somewhat
strange problem.  I had given thought to hardware in a different sense
though, as I swapped the hub and NIC.  What doesn't make sense though is
that after a successful boot, all runs fine; the client inits to xdm then
I can run KDE with no problems at all, so that would seem to rule out
hardware.

One other thing I should have mentioned is that a similar problem happens
earlier in the boot process the first time the DHCP server is contacted,
*before* the kernel is DL'd via tftp.  About 4 instances of the message
"ALERT: got a fragmented packet - reconfigure your server".  The msg comes
from etherboot (5.0.6) main.c, just after line 1033 with the comment:

    Till Straumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    added udp checksum (safer on a wireless link)
    added fragmentation check: I had a corrupted image
    in memory due to fragmented TFTP packets - took me
    3 days to find the cause for this :-(

So I was pretty sure that the the dhcp server or client was at fault, so I
updated the dhcp components.  dhcpd.conf is very straight forward:

                ===================================

# ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
ddns-update-style none;
default-lease-time            21600;
max-lease-time                21600;

# option definitions common to all supported networks...
option domain-name "my.dom";

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.23;
option root-path              "192.168.1.23:/opt/ltsp/i386";

option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;

shared-network WORKSTATIONS {
    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    }
}

group   {
    use-host-decl-names       on;
    option log-servers        192.168.1.23;

    host ws001 {
        hardware ethernet     00:E0:7D:D1:D5:F8;
        fixed-address         192.168.1.31;
        filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.18-ltsp-1";
        option option-128     e4:45:74:68:00:00;
        option option-129     "NIC=8139too";
    }

server IP is 192.168.1.23, and client is 192.168.1.31