On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, John Karns said:

> That's the part I wasn't sure about.  Actually, I was thinking that the DC
> perhaps was getting the dhclient binary which resides on the server and
> executing it from within the LTSP environment, which uses a different set
> of libraries than those which the binary was compiled under.  I wasn't
> questioning the internal consistencies of LTSP.
>
> It does indeed seem to be hardware related, but as far as I can tell, the
> mobo (ASUS P5A) is to blame.  I've swapped the entire client machine (with
> the same mobo) as well as the hub and patch cables with the same problem.
> Due to the intermittent nature it's difficult to say with real certainty,
> but the problem appears to occur only when the P5A has an AGP card
> installed.  I tried two different AGP cards - a generic card employing a
> Trident Blade3D chip, and an ATI Rage Pro.  The problem disappears when I
> replace the AGP card with an ISA video card.
>
> I am declaring the test a success though, because I won't be using the
> ASUS P5A machines as clients for the main part of the project.  Although
> it's still disappointing because I do have a few of the P5A which I was
> thinking I could use as DC's later on.

Well I'm still grappling with this problem here.  I've swapped absolutely
everything, including making the former server machine the DC and
vice-versa with the former client.  Still getting a segfault.  I don't
think that the ASUS P5A mobo was / is at fault.

Since the beginning, the 1st one or two boots are successful - sometimes
up to 5 or so, other times it segfaults on the 2nd boot.  I've tried
both kernels 2.4.9 and 2.4.18 from the LTSP kernel tgz.

I'm thinking that the problem lies on the server side, as once I had my
laptop also booting from floppy as a DC to have 2 DC's - and after the
problem ocurred, neither DC was able to boot due a segfault.

I'm running out of ideas.  Any hints on how to debug this?  I've DL'd a
busybox tar file and had the idea to compile it myself - that may be my
next step.  I'll have another look through the LTSP docs to see if there's
info on building from BB source - any tips regarding that much
appreciated.

One other point is that the machine I'm testing as a client has an
integrated Trident Blade3D chip.  When there is a successful boot of the
DC with runlevel 5, the X window manager fails to start and the screen
shows the large X on the monochrome "checkered" background.  When I had
the client and server machines reversed, the Blade3D AGP card in the ASUS
worked fine after successful boots.

Thanks