John,

For me, seg. fault immediately implies hardware problem (at
least with otherwise proven software).  See below for more
comments...

> From: John Karns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] segmentation fault
>
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> Hi John,
>> from my experience I had seg faults for different
reasons.
>> Hardware related:
>> One was bad ram, the other a bad mobo (on our
ltsp-machines).
>> I also had seg faults on my personal machine for
different (software related).
>> Check if it's defietely not a hardware prob.
>> (This is from the view of a "non"-programmer :) -
perhaps there's two
>> different kinds of seg-faults)
>> regards,
>
> Yes, I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, as
the machine is new;
> but you're right - could be bad RAM or whatever. In any
case a somewhat
> strange problem. I had given thought to hardware in a
different sense
> though, as I swapped the hub and NIC. What doesn't make
sense though is
> that after a successful boot, all runs fine; the client
inits to xdm then
> I can run KDE with no problems at all, so that would seem
to rule out
> hardware.

No, it doesn't.  The thing about hardware errors is that
they are often random and unpredictable.  That the boot
itself was successful tells you that whatever normally is
flaky in the machine is running fine, at least for the
moment.  My first presumption would be hardware problem,
especially with seg faults.

> One other thing I should have mentioned is that a similar
problem happens
> earlier in the boot process the first time the DHCP
server is contacted,
> *before* the kernel is DL'd via tftp. About 4 instances
of the message
> "ALERT: got a fragmented packet - reconfigure your
server". The msg comes
> from etherboot (5.0.6) main.c, just after line 1033 with
the comment:

>     Till Straumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     added udp checksum (safer on a wireless link)
>     added fragmentation check: I had a corrupted image
>     in memory due to fragmented TFTP packets - took me
>     3 days to find the cause for this :-(
>
> So I was pretty sure that the the dhcp server or client
was at fault, so I
> updated the dhcp components.

Yes, you should've mentioned this.  This changes
everything.  This points at the problem being with the
networking, which is still hardware, but not necessarily
client hardware.  A good test to firm up this assumption
would be whether other clients also experience problems
like this.  If not, then the problem is with your client
and could be your NIC, the network cable, the hub port, or
even still something to do with RAM/mobo.  If other clients
are having this problem, then it is either network in
general (hub, switch, cabling) or the networking to your
DHCP server (cable, NIC, port on the hub/switch).

As for the Etherboot code comment, it says to me that Herr
Straumann is responsible for adding the code to check for
fragmentation, which kindly reported to you the reason for
which you may be experiencing problems.  It indeed sounds
like you have a networking problem somewhere.  My only
confusion lies in that you say these messages occur before
the TFTP download begins, yet the comment in the code seems
to discuss TFTP packets...  I haven't looked at the code,
but it could just be that Herr Straumann had a problem with
his TFTP packets, but wound up adding checksum and
fragmentation checking for other stages of the boot process
as well.

Jason

PS:  In reference to your original post, there is no
grounds to suspect any binary incompatibility between your
DHCP server's system and the LTSP clients.  The DHCPD
server is compiled and run on your server.  The DHCP client
code is run on the client hardware.  LTSP ships with an
entire set of its own libs now for the client and takes
nothing from the server.  This precludes anything like what
you were considering.  As long as the two binaries speak
the same language over the network they should behave well
regardless of what  libraries they are compiled against and
even what architecture they run on!  Your server could be
an Alpha or PPC or Sparc architecture and the client
i386-compatible.