Sitat Olav Øiehaug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Our school at Haroy in Norway have desided to use LTSP with
RedHat
> 7.3
> We have a dual AMD 1800+ MSI-mainboard with 1GB Ram for the LTSP
> server.
> The users (/home) is on another server. We use NIS and NFS to
> connect the two
> servers. We have 18 ws.
> About 50 % of the clients have 100Mbit NIC, the rest have
10Mbit.

> The LTSP server have SMC Gigabit NIC, and the other server
(/home)
> have
> 100Mbit. They are both connected to a SMC Gigabit switch.
>
> Everything works works OK, but the LTSP server crashes several
> times during a
> day. I have tried to disable Mozilla, and I have tried to
disable
> printing,
> but that did not help. I have made several copies of
> /var/log/messages, but I
> can not find anything significant.

Is there no pattern to the crashes?
If you leave the server alone, no clients attached, does it still
crash?
Do the activities of the users influence the crashes?
How does the sever crash? Turn itself off or just refuse to
respond? Can you still log in to a console or via ssh?
If it's a hardware problem, you could start looking at the RAM.
Dual Athlons should have registered memory, I think. Is that what
you have installed? I know these things are expensive, but id at
all possible try to get hold another set of RAM chips and swap
out the one you've put in.
What about disks? Any partitions full?
Can you see any problems with the network cards, like lots of
collisions or errors (use ifconfig)?
There are absolutely no signs in /var/log/messages?

Running out of files should produce errors in the syslog, but try
to increase open files limit to 64k.

--
Mvh Ragnar Wisløff