> > Can you see any problems with the network cards, like lots of
> > collisions or errors (use ifconfig)?

What does the output of the command

ifconfig

tell you? Look for the numbers after errors and perhaps
collisions (even you seem to have switches all the way)

> Green lights all the way. Do you think there is a problem that
the
> other
> server, with the /home - partition, have only a 100 Mbit NIC?

Perhaps. What I've seen of gigabit cards is that they can be
tricky.

Why don't you exchange the one gigabit card with two 100 mbit
ones? Let one card handle the work stations and the other the
rest of the network traffic. This is the way K12LTSP and
Skolelinux works.

> > There are absolutely no signs in /var/log/messages?

No? Yes?

> > Running out of files should produce errors in the syslog, but
> try
> > to increase open files limit to 64k.

Did you?

--