Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Server crash

Frå:
Olav Øiehaug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  (Nordheim)

Til:
Ragnar Wisløff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dato:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:13:33 +0200
Torsdag 19. september 2002 22:55 skreiv Ragnar Wisløff:

> Sitat Olav Øiehaug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Our school at Haroy in Norway have desided to use LTSP with

> RedHat
>

> > 7.3
> > We have a dual AMD 1800+ MSI-mainboard with 1GB Ram for the LTSP
> > server.
> > The users (/home) is on another server. We use NIS and NFS to
> > connect the two
> > servers. We have 18 ws.
> > About 50 % of the clients have 100Mbit NIC, the rest have

> 10Mbit.
>

> > The LTSP server have SMC Gigabit NIC, and the other server

> (/home)
>

> > have
> > 100Mbit. They are both connected to a SMC Gigabit switch.
> >

> > Everything works works OK, but the LTSP server crashes several
> > times during a
> > day. I have tried to disable Mozilla, and I have tried to

> disable
>

> > printing,
> > but that did not help. I have made several copies of
> > /var/log/messages, but I
> > can not find anything significant.

> Is there no pattern to the crashes?

Total Black out, no response either on clients nor server

> If you leave the server alone, no clients attached, does it still
> crash?

Always when the students work at terminals. It seems to crash more often when
heavy loaded

> Do the activities of the users influence the crashes?

No significant pattern, at least I have not found any

> How does the sever crash? Turn itself off or just refuse to
> respond? Can you still log in to a console or via ssh?

see above.

> If it's a hardware problem, you could start looking at the RAM.
> Dual Athlons should have registered memory, I think. Is that what
> you have installed? I know these things are expensive, but id at
> all possible try to get hold another set of RAM chips and swap
> out the one you've put in.

Yes Reg there is. I have ordered another 512 MB, maybe I will swap with this.

> What about disks? Any partitions full?

No, lot of space.

> Can you see any problems with the network cards, like lots of
> collisions or errors (use ifconfig)?

Green lights all the way. Do you think there is a problem that the other
server, with the /home - partition, have only a 100 Mbit NIC?