>Has anybody else had similar processes with hosed SMB mounts?

Depends whats hosing your connection...  :-)

What's coming first, egg or chicken?  I had problems with Open Office
crashing because our SMB connection kicked the bucket after about 15
minutes.... come to find out there is a registry setting (i forget which
one off the top of my head) that needs to be changed on the NT fileserver.
 SMB connections timeout and reconnect after a set period of time by
default, and Samba doesn't always (doesn't ever) reconnect smoothly.

I can dig up the micro$oft kb article and an explanation i got off the
samba list if you think this applies.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Ragnar Wisloff wrote:
>
>>they have local home directories, but
>>have a subdirectory which is automatically mounted from the NT
>>file/print server, allowing them to use the same files under both
>>Windows and Linux.
>>
>>This magic is performed using pam_smb for authentication and pam_mount
>>for the directory mounting.
>>
>We do the same thing and it works well for the most part.  But the SMB
>mounts are the weak link in an otherwise excellent solution. Ocasionally
>StarOffice crashes and the mount point ends up completely hosed.
>
>Unmount (and any other command)  fails with :  Input/output error
>
>Killing the smb processes, logging the user off, running "fuser" and
>umounting the file system sometimes works, but every so often, the only
>way to umount the filesystem and clear the problem is to reboot the
>entire server.
>
>It's frustrating that the M$$ connection is dragging down the rock solid
>LTSP solution and giving the impression of instability -- but in order
>to tightly integrate thin clients and PCs, I'm stuck with using NT file
>shares (at least for now).
>
>Has anybody else had similar processes with hosed SMB mounts?
>
>--
>Carrie Coy
>S&S Worldwide
>(860) 537-3451 x2357
>www.ssww.com

>For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

David M. Leuser, II * Assistant Network Administrator
New Hampton School * PH/Fax Direct: (603) 677-3451
77 Main Street * New Hampton, NH 03256