Ah, I missed that. Ideally, something (i would think kermit) should sit between the program and the socket to make it transparent. But yes, I see what you are saying.

Thanks,

-Corey

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

Corey Minyard wrote:

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

Its not a Kermit bug; If you pass the socket file descriptor to an external program
the external program must understand telnet protocol. Otherwise, it can't send the
correct data format.

No, it *is* a kermit bug. When kermit sends an 0xff character, it needs to escape it per the standard telnet protocol. It's obviously not doing this.

-Corey

I agree, the IAC must be quoted. The problem is that when an external protocol handler is
executed as a child process, Kermit is suspended and the child process has complete control
over the socket file descriptor.
Kermit is not sitting between the external protocol and the host.
Some versions of sz have a command line flag to handle this situation such that IAC (0xff) are
not sent but are instead escaped within the zmodem protocol.

Jeffrey Altman