Joe Auerbach wrote:

Here's an issue worth mentioning. I brought this up a while ago, but I don't know if I was clear.

I've got 2 categories of people running off the same ltsp machine here. One group (we'll call them a) are doing text based grunt work on a server in hte office. The other (broup b) will need actual desktop access as well as the text based interface.

I can easily set the other group up and I have them set up now (screen_01 is a telnet screen and screen_02 is startx). However, my trouble is setting up the first group alongside them. Is there a way I can set screens by group or mac address? Mac address 1 gets screen_01 telnet and no screen_02 startx?

My other option would be to just shut down x for them. for example, default them in their bash_profile or somehting similar to close x. So they both get the startx screen, but when group A logs into the startx screen it drops down to a shell anyway.
Thoughts?

I just realized that I'm not sure I even have a solution for the group b people. Check this out. groub b logs in. they get a desktop. they ctrl-alt-f1 and get a shell. Fine. Now they have to ssh to the server. Or they get a telnet and they still have to ssh to the server.

Is there a way to set up the telnet based login to have one command run (the ssh) while the desktop has the normal gnome login?

--

joe auerbach
systems administrator