Thank you all very much for your help, advice and information.  I appreciate
it very, very much.

I've read more about Raid in the past few days than I ever wanted to,  []:-)
and I think I am still leaning towards sticking with a Raid 1.  146 GB
should be plenty of space for us for quite some time, so it doesn't make
sense to go with a Raid 5.  A Raid 5 costs more, and would only really
benefit us if we were ever needed to increase our storage capacity.

---- Which leads to another question:

If I have a Raid controller set up to handle the drives as a Raid 1, can I
later use the same controller and have it handle the drives as a Raid 5?  It
would be fine with me if I had to rebuild the system to do this.  Just
curious of what my options are with that in the future.  It seems to me that
it should, because it is the same controller Dell sells for both
configurations.

I spent some time pricing out components to build the same system myself,
and the amount we would save is pretty insignificant -- and we wouldn't have
any hardware support.  (And I may not be here forever, so I kind of have to
think of what is best for those left behind.)   Of course, I could make a
less powerful system for less... but again, we wouldn't have support.

>> We run the 64 bit Fedora and the only package that we can't run
(properly) is Flash - there is no 64 bit version of Flash.  But, you can
trick the install into thinking it's running on a 32 bit machine to get
it to install.  You won't have problems with anything else you're
mentioning.

---- By this, did you mean Macromedia's flash plug-in for Firefox?  If so,
what did you have to do to get it to work?

>> Don't be afraid to look outside the box.  When it came time to replace
our office server (postgres - for SQL-Ledger, samba, dns, dhcp, postfix,
httpd, ltsp) we looked at all the big brands but found we got a lot more
bang for the buck with the smaller custom houses.  We got a loaded
machine from Monarch for a heck of a lot less then a comparable machine
from Dell would have been.

---- I will most definately check this out before I buy the Dell.  Are there
any other places any of you could recommend?  We tend to be a little leary
of buying big ticket items from small places off the net unless we know
someone who can recommend them.

Again, thank you all for your help.  I appreciate it very much.

If anyone has anything else to offer in the way of advice, I'd really
appreciate it.  Like I say, I don't do this for a living; and quite frankly,
as computers go, I prefer software development.  []:-)

With very kind regards,

Peter, hieromonk

----
Dormition Skete