Anthony-

ssh is still used as a communication tunnel between client and server.
For example, it is used to launch the session, set up sound, trigger
mounting of local devices, that sort of thing.  The only difference is
that you are not proxying the ssh traffic through ssh, so you eliminate
the overhead of encrypting the video data (the majority of the ssh
overhead in the secure scenario) and, more importantly for performance,
you are not proxying the X traffic, but rather directly talking between
the applications and the xserver.

Cheers,

-Gadi