> > I've lots of LTSP background, I don't think that I need help to get it
> > running, I want to know about the setup ....
> >
> > * I installed Gutsy on a machine, did the updates
> > * I followed
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall
> > * apt-get install ltsp-server-standalone openssh-server
>
> The Edubuntu handbook has the best information about LTSP at
> the moment, with a complete description of everything, including
> the boot process.

Thanks, I will read that in detail.

> > This did not install the nfs-kernel-server, I had to install by hand.
> > nfs and dhcp are now running.
>
> We're not using NFS by default anymore.  Instead, we're compressing
> the LTSP chroot with squashfs, and serving it out via NBD.  This
> was done to both address people who didn't want to have to run
> NFS servers by default, as well, reducing network usage, by
> transferring compressed data over the network.

I did not install nfs-kernel-server because I'm a rouge!
ltsp-build-client COMPLAINED that I had to fix /etc/exports by hand as
nfs-kernel-server was missing.

> > * ltsp-build-client
> >
> > Downloaded a LOT of stuff. I thought that we'd be using host files, not
> > al-la 4.2 downloading everything ???
>
> Well, we use the distro's packages.  Which means that we install
> the distro's packages the normal methods.  You can either install
> via the network, or, of you've got the cd, you can use the cd
> to build the chroot.

Fair enough. Will the packages ever come from the distribution? If I
want to *build* packages for the chroot which system do I build with?
EG *local* programs to change the display contrast (PAR touch screens)
and PinPad servers for EFTPOS ie local pin pads on the TC. etc etc ?

> > * Power the thin client, which boots until an initramfs prompt
> > (initramfs)
> >
> > OK this is not something I can give my customers. I'm not looking at
> > now, but a years time.
>
> So, you tried something once, run into a problem, and instead of
> asking for some help, you simply announce it's not something you
> can give to people?

I have to have a system that is distributed to 100's of semi guru
installers around the world. This is a POS system with 1000s of
customers world wide. Years in the making, years in operation.
It can't need *fiddling*, it must be bullet proof.

> > The attraction of LTSP5 is support for new hardware via a new server OS
> > as the years go by. The attraction of 4.2 is that it just works (but
> > will date; eg we're running LTSP3 on RedHat9 and it's starting to really
> > hurt)

IE from the above, an OrderTaker system with ThinClient POS is deployed
(RH9 ltsp-3) I can't just use ltsp4. It's a complete solution and it is
suffering from dated hardware support. (both server and clients)

> LTSP 4.2 also had lots of things in which it didn't "just work", we've
> made huge improvements in ltsp 5 with sound, localdevices, better
> autodetection of hardware, and we're working on a rock solid local
> apps implementation now.  Clearly, from my point of view, ltsp5
> is miles ahead of where we used to be.

Cute, nice, sound, localdevices are of no interest to me <grin>

> > Anybody sell me the solution (non-english pardon the idiom)
> > Anybody tell me what you think is a good idea on the way to go from here
>
> Umm, help you to get ltsp5 working?

It is a years work to implement, package, test, distribute a POS system.
LTSP5 looks very attractive from many points of view. What risk am I
taking if I choose that direction?

James