Hi Asmo,
>> I'm going add new server on my office tomorrow. Old one is 32-bit Ubuntu
>> 6.06, new one is 64-bit Edubuntu 7.10. And machine itself is quite
>> upgraded - from P4/1G to Duo Core Xeon/4G.
>>
>> And I hope that it can lives happy with Windows dhcp-server like my old
>> server did:

actually you can just use the windows dhcp server as your one and only
dhcp server and populate the ltsp specific info into it (cf.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPWindowsDHCP). It is not
very complicated and works fine, it just feels a little weird :-)

I think that it is also possible to explicitly exclude the MAC addresse
of the terminals on the windows DHCP server, so you'll be sure that the
terminal will get their configuration from the other dhcp server.

cheers,

Denis

> This is very interesting.  If you don't mind I might ask a question or two.
>
> As I understand it, you're relying on the speed of DHCP servers.  So, your
> LTSP dhcp server is faster to respond than the windows one, so it always
> responds first if it has a static lease defined for a mac address.  By
> contrast, the DD-WRT dhcpd is quick and responds first, which is why it
> breaks the thin clients.  If the linux dhcp server doesn't have a static
> lease defined, it doesn't respond and the windows server eventually gets
> used.
>
> Have I misunderstood?  Is there some other reason the windows dhcp
>
> If the above is correct, I imagine placing load on the ltsp server might
> slow it down and the windows server might respond more quickly than it
> which might break your clients.
>
> Again, if I understand correctly, I guess as long as the dhcp server with
> the dynamic IP space is the slowest one and the others only respond to
> their own clients, this should probably work.  However, it might be simpler
> to not run a dhcp server on your new server at all and just add new
> definitions to the existing edubuntu dhcpd with a different next-server and
> boot images.
>
> This is probably more of a question than an answer I'm afraid :-)
>
> Gavin

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
44 bvd des pas enchantés