On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 12:52 -0800, john wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the reasons I originally found LTSP compelling was the modest
> specs required of the thin clients. Lately I've been feeling like my
> flavor of Linux/LTSP (ubuntu) has entered the same kind of systems
> requirement arms-race that I thought I left behind when we moved away
> from workstations running XP.
> I used to be able to run PII's with 128 mb ram no problem. These days
> 256 Mb on the client seems to be the minimum and 512
> is preferred. I still have lots of PII's lying around, and I suspect
> vast portions of LTSP's potential user base may be working with older
> technology as well. If the future of LTSP means you have to buy new
> hardware to use it seems like a much less compelling solution.

One of the big attractions of LTSP was that we would be able to upgrade
our entire network by upgrading the server, while the clients would not
need to be touched. The thin clients, with no moving parts, would last
many years. In terms of hardware, in other words, the server is dynamic,
while the clients are stable.

While the client hardware hasn't changed over the past year and a half,
the software has changed. We updated the server to Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS),
which brought a number of improvements, but we also updated the clients,
with some unfortunate consequences (the original Ubuntu 7.04 clients ran
proprietary VIA video drivers with smooth 3D performance, while updated
clients ran 2D openchrome drivers). In terms of software, in other
words, server and clients are all dynamic.

It seems to me that there is an inherent conflict here, between the
stability of client hardware and the dynamism of client software. We
struggle with this for stand-alone servers and workstations of course
(dist-upgrades are never undertaken lightly), but it seems particularly
problematic here.

> Perhaps my complaints are not really LTSP related (I have minimal
> experience with other Distros with LTSP packages), and perhaps the
> "fat client" approach is an attempt to get around this issue to some
> degree. I am sure someone will set me straight if I
> am conflating two different issues. :-)
>
> So is LTSP 4.2 the answer for older clients, or is there something
> else to consider here?

I don't see LTSP 4.2 as a solution. The developers have moved on, and
they'll continue to do so. The latest and greatest LTSP has to support
the latest and greatest hardware.

What I plan to do is create a stable client (in my case based on the
kernel used in Ubuntu 7.04) that I can optimize for start-up time and
performance, then leave pretty-much alone.

> Thanks for letting me ruminate!
Me babble...

> John
-Richard