On Wednesday 29 Apr 2009, Job Cacka wrote:
> So after reading through your thread I would ask if you found any
> documentation on how the routing should be setup. Specifically a best
> practice for LTSP environments. I have seen other problems with LTSP
> performance because we do not use an internal DNS, and ended up creating a
> large host file that we propagate to the Thin Client with a script and run
> on the server. However, in my four years experience of running thin clients
> I have never seen a network admin's guide to providing the proper
> foundation of services. I think there are unique situations with the
> combination of services that LTSP requires for educating admins before they
> get themselves into trouble.

Providing you have a single gateway on your network, and providing it is set
up as the default gateway in dhcpd.conf, and providing that gateway has the
hosts properly defined (or dns set up), then it should just work.

The issue for us, is that we have an additional gateway/router set-up inside
our network, which needs to have the windows rdp traffic.  The default
gateway is set-up with a static route back to this gateway, so again it
should just work.  And it does for 15/20 minutes sometimes, and then it goes
and drops a packet or two, just sufficient to break rdp.

This just should not happen in a decent network, and I have got to get to the
bottom of why this is happening.  For the time being I have set up and RCFILE
script to add the static route to the clients, and the problem has gone away.
But I really do see this as a sticking plaster over serious issue.

Ideally I would replace our ipcop firewall, with a multi-wan firewall, and
move this router outside of our network.

--
Chris Roberts

+------------------+------------------+
|     Distribution | Debian Etch      |