" Providing you have a single gateway on your network, and providing it is
set up as the default gateway in dhcpd.conf, and providing that gateway has
the hosts properly defined (or dns set up), then it should just work."

I totally understand, but this is an ideal situation. Maybe my experience
has always been in less than ideal network setups. I have never had a
network that was setup in this manner for the entire time I ran it. Legacy
implementations die slowly, and often work-arounds upon work-arounds later
are made that affect complex implementations like LTSP.

My only point is that assumptions are made in the documentation
(documentation is better now than when I installed the system last spring)
which lead you in the wrong direction. Foundations must be laid correctly,
and the network is the foundation for LTSP. If the network has any hiccups,
or changes from the norm (Define: norm), LTSP will not work correctly (as
advertised). This should be stated early on, so admins are looking in the
right direction.

If I had not been curious about the slowness of ssh logins and then arp
requests on my Ubuntu+LTSP, I would not have asked the questions that lead
me to the fact that even though static IP addresses are used, Host Files &
DNS is still queried. Without these present you must wait for some timeout
before the network app gets to using the static IP. A private IP host file
fixed this problem. Many network apps utilize proxies, but not all. Those
that can use a proxy did not have a problem on our network. Now we are
looking at a single gateway that will solve our problems in the future.

"I really do see this as a sticking plaster over serious issue."

I agree, and I think you prove my point. Work-arounds are done to solve
immediate problems, then we must discipline ourselves to ultimately fix the
problems at hand. In the interim, complex software packages get a bad rap,
because of the intricacies of individual networks and their legacy
implementations.

--
Thanks,
Job Cacka