I tried the second option (LDM_XSESSION): Putting

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

in lts.conf will unconditionally start a classic gnome session,
regardless of what the user selects from the dropdown list on the ldm
screen.

This is better than starting unity be default, but not exactly what I
wanted to do: I'd like to leave the user his choice, but change the
default to classic-gnome if he doesn't chose anything.
I believe this is the meaning of "default"?

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 17:39 +0200, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> But there is a bug in LDM, LDM_SESSION isn't properly parsed in 11.04's
> version. See Stephane Graber email in june "ltsp -default  xsession"

Thank you Xavier for pointing this out. I will live with my current
workaround and hope for Oneiric.

Thank you everyone,
Rüdiger
--