On 11/7/2013 4:23 PM, David Burgess wrote:
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM, John Hupp <l...@prpcompany.com <mailto:l...@prpcompany.com>> wrote:

    On 11/6/2013 5:53 PM, John Hupp wrote:
    > I finished a new installation of LTSP-PNP on Lubuntu 13.10, but
    I find
    > that clients won't boot.
    >
    > After the Plymouth splash screen, a text screen reads:
    >
    > Error: socket failed: connection refused.
    > Exiting.

Forgive me for not combing through all of the machine output, but at a glance your symptoms look like something I have encountered where the nbd server does not start automatically on the server. The quick fix was to start the service, and then I don't recall if it started automatically after a reboot or if I had to turn that on in a config file somewhere. Try 'netstat -lt' to see what ports you're listening on.

db

Thanks for a good lead (though it leads to more questions rather than an immediate solution).

I find that nbd-server is running, but comparing the output of 'netstat -lt' on a Lubuntu 13.04 LTSP server that works fine, and the misbehaving 13.10 server, I find that on
13.04 nbd-server listens on *: 60603, but on 13.10 it listens on *:nbd.

Otherwise the output is the same for tcp on both servers (I don't list the tcp6 results):
tcp        0      0 *:9571                  *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:55213         *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 Lubuntu:domain          *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.117:domain    *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:* LISTEN

The nbd-server configuration file (/etc/nbd-server/conf.d/ltsp_i386.conf) has the same contents on both installations.

The script that launches nbd-server appears to be /etc/init.d/nbd-server, and it does not specify ip addresses or ports to listen to. At least for the ip addresses, http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/man1/nbd-server.1.html states that when the ip address parameter is not specified, nbd-server will listen on all local addresses on both IPv4 and IPv6.

I don't know how to interpret the difference in how nbd-server is listening.