Chris - thanks for your followup - a couple of questions on your comments before
I dive in head-first:

> I note that you have DHCP running on the Samba4 AD server - that would need
> to be moved over to your new LTSP server, or at least that would be the
> simplest option.

Actually, my intention is to run LTSP *on* the Samba4 AD. Why not? Given that,
the same host would be running DHCP -- unless LTSP wants to take over DHCP?
Is there a problem running LTSP on the same host that currently runs DHCP?

> As I understand it, DHCP is not a core component of AD so
> that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Well, in fact, I think DHCP *is* needed and Samba4 wants to update DNS -- which
needs DHCP. Not totally sure about this, will research, but I recall that
Windows SBS HAD TO BE the DHCP server and DNS server.

> And now we are using Samba4 AD, but have stopped using LTSP, having reverted
> to the dark side :(. LTSP was great, sadly OpenOffice / LibreOffice just
> weren't compatible enough for us.

Very interesting, I'm still semi-dark-side, but using Samba4 as the AD/DC
replacement for SBS 2008.  All the Win7 workstations work just fine as domain
members with roaming logins, redirected folders, remote desktop, group policies,
etc.  I'm wondering if you could tell me more specifically why LTSP and
Open/Libre Office didn't work out for you with Samba4 AD? That's precicely the
target platforms I'm looking at.  Esp the OpenOffice thing -- we're looking at
migrating away from Win7 (more precisely, we're looking at never going to
Win10!) and OpenOffice is a logical replacement for Office 201x.

Thanks for your feedback --Mark