I'm going to try downloading and tweaking the Ubuntu LTSP and see if I can get
that going per Christopher Roberts' "suggestion".

Before I head down the wrong path right from the start, I've got the link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall, which points to
the iso at http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.

Is this a reasonable place to start or totally the wrong CD for what I am trying
to do?

If I make progress (or even if not), I'll see what I can do with Vagrant
Cascadian's suggestion to create a Slackware version.

Slackware is still a pretty robust disto. I reverted back to Slackware when my
Debian attempt at installing the Samba4 AD/DC slogged to a halt. The Slackware
distro for Samba4 AD/DC worked right out of the box, no problem.

Note: if reading these last two paragraphs has caused the point of this message
to slip your mind, I repeat, is the http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04
iso and instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall
a good starting point?