Hi,
In my experience if you want to know what your computer is doing, and every single thing is hand picked to provide the best security/privacy/etc... Use Arch. It is pretty easy to install (if you like terminals) and is really configurable.... The FSF advocates Trisequel GNU/Linux so that might be another option for a preconfigured privacy respecting distro. There is no proprietary firmware so things may not work ccorrectly on some hardware.

If you do not want to use a terminal, there is not much you can do to ensure much of anything, though.. IF you want to go ALL out, you can use LFS... but that is a bit overkill unless uyou really are just looking to learn more about GNU/Linux