> Dear All

Stop this madness! Im a amateur lute player from Brazil
and I sad that discussion is  unpropoposital. Lute music
is more than it.

Lets go back to the Lute

Jorge II

Dear Andr=E9,
>                   =20
>                     I'm afraid that for some of us this
 debate was an =
> opportunity to exchange ideas about something very impo
rtant in our =
> daily life as lute players, but for some other person,
attacking by all =
> means and not being able to stop at any point even when
 the others were =
> up to (I did) is clearly a game. Simply something he do
es because of =
> being bored, angry with the world or whatever.
>                      Once I've stop taking part, added
MO's address to =
> my blocked list, he keeps insulting me, even in message
s posted out of =
> the debate. He uses what I've in theory said to make me
 say something =
> else, which is I think the lowest you can get.
>                     For all that, wanted to tell you th
at in my opinion =
> bringing back to normal terms the debate is not a colle
ctive decision. =
> This has happened before, and little had to do with the
 survival of MO =
> as businessman, which is some people's justification fo
r his reaction.
> >=20
> > I think that a lot of thing have been said -
 that freedom of speech - =
> what
> > if in fact both parties were right:
>
> That's relative. Freedom of speech is not just saying w
hat you want to =
> say about a specific issue, but also being respected wh
en doing it.
> >=20
> > What I personnaly do and I am not the only one:
> >=20
> > -
 Of course I use copy material and free web content (whic
h is bad)
> > -
 but I also buy from publishers the same fac simil=E9 whe
n I can
> > afford and when they are still in stock ( somethimes
I copy them as =
> well
> > just to make my own annotations)
>
> I guess most of us do that, that's what I've been sayin
g I do myself. =
> There's nothing wrong with using free web content. It i
s legal and =
> morally acceptable, and more important: is a reality ag
ainst which you =
> can't do much, in case you have something against it.
> >=20
> > Lute playing is not a cheap activities but its a long
 lasting story =
> which is
> > why I still buy publishers instead of using free mate
rials.=20
> > I am sure that using copy or web sources music will i
n a way =
> contribute to
> > the promotion of both the publishers material -
 what ever the prices =
> . -
> > that freedom of business -
 and more important of our instruments and =
> its
> > music.
> >=20
> > The more 'free' or 'forbidden' music is on the web  -
 depending of its =
> own
> > point of view -
 the better the publisher business, and reverse.
> >=20
> > We are facing a technological gap  -
 the same one which allow us to =
> exchange
> > ideas -
 Business practices have always manage to change and surv
ive - =
> that
> > change will surely force publishers to create added v
alue to fac =
> simil=E9
> > publication (parper, format, comments,price ..), buye
rs will be =
> willing to
> > return to purchase ... and use free web sources.
> >=20
> > When the first train connection appeared in the late
19th between =
> Paris and
> > Lyon ... that was notorious that this was the end of
the trading =
> activities
>
> A couple of interesting points, although the problem of
 this historical =
> moment is that business have little possibility of chan
ge in order to =
> survive.  Some businessman would just deny that fact, a
nd will blame the =
> customers, which I find nonsense.
> That's why I think an editor suffering seriously would
be wrong at =
> blaming people who makes copies.
>
>   I always wonder if there was a price sensitivity to p
urchase =
> materials. For
> > instance, we have in France Les Editions du CNRS, whi
ch release french =
> lute
> > composers -
 that's is not quite as convenient as a fac simil=E9-
 but =
> at a
> > reasonable price : I have never seen any xerox copy o
f the CNTS =
> editions ...
> > all the lute players I know just buy them.
>

> I think is more a matter of possibility than sensitivit
y  . I have many =
> of the CNRS books at home (le roy, rippe and others). R
easonable priced, =
> some of the transcriptions not so precise (in case you
need them), but =
> convenient.=20
> Think of this: I go to my country from time to time. I'
ve a couple of =
> students, some are good players and definitively enthus
iastic.
> They do copies of all the material I take with me, beca
use is the ONLY =
> way they can have access to that.
> Before the last crisis started, when the local currency
 was even with =
> the us dollar, many of them bought spes editions and ma
ny other =
> material. Now there's no chance.
>  What's the way it should be then? The lute should be p
layed by rich =
> individuals who can buy the books? Little progress in m
usical aspect we =
> would then have.
>
> >=20
> > Could we stop the discussion or move to something wit
h a higher =
> contribution
> > ?
>
> This is a question you should address with more precisi
on.=20