Dear Sean,
I used gut double frets on my lutes for years - they do "buzz" a bit for the
first few days but that stops when they are bedded down and after that
they wear a lot longer and stay in position better than single strand frets.
I find the double strand knot easier to tie and have less trouble with
fitting
them than I do the single strand variety. It may be worth mentioning
that I never used the very thick gut for the lower frets that has been
mentioned
recently.

My guess is that makers don't like to present a new instrument to a customer
with that new double strand fret buzz and so fit single strand frets as
standard.
It's a shame, because it seems to have created the impression among players
that single
strand frets were the historical norm and that double strand frets are an
eccentric anomaly. In truth, in my opinion and as Martin suggests,  it's
more likely to be the other
way around.

Best wishes,

Denys