Jon,

you are right for quite a number of paintings. With regard to the
Holbein, you are wrong. Assuming Sean's (who sent me the picture)
consent I have uploaded it to my webspace. Have a look at:

www.jsbach.mynetcologne.de/ambassadorfrets.jpg (900k!)
or
www.jsbach.mynetcologne.de/ambassadorssmall.jpg (38k)

and you'll see what I mean.