Dear Vance,
I am glad too to see this high resolution image of the Holbein lute.
As lots of people on the list will know, this is a detail from the
much larger painting known as the "The Ambassadors" which is a double
portrait of  Georges de Selve (bishop  of Lavaur) and Jean de Dinteville
(French ambassador to the court of Henry VIII). There is an excellent
article
about the painting and the lute by Stephen Barber & Sandi Harris which I
think might be available from the list archives. The painting was cleaned
and
restored in the 1990's and many details have become much clearer than
they were before.

So the painting is not about music specifically and the presence of the lute
amongst other musical and scientific instruments and books seems to
symbolise both
the achievements of the age and the kind of learning that was appropriate
to a cultured person. It offers the artist, too the opportunity to show off
his virtuosity (that word again!) in paint. Truth to life was very much an
essential attribute of Renaissance art - "to hold the mirror up to nature"
as
Shakespeare has Hamlet put it. Luckily for us it means that we can often
regard 16th century paintings as accurate sources of information. This is
especially the case when other sources confirm the information - a diagram,
for example, in Hans Newsidlers "Ein Newgeordent kunstlich Lautenbuch"
of 1536 clearly shows double strand frets just like Holbein's painting.

I wish we knew how to make those tiny fret knots that show so clearly
in the painting. I have wondered before if they provide evidence of the
supposed greater flexibility of the gut they had in those days, as our
present
day gut does not tie so tightly. I am convinced that the left thumb was used
to stop the 6th course of the lute as a normal part of early lute technique,
and those tiny knots present much less of an obstacle to the thumb than
our modern lumpy knots do.

Best wishes,

Denys