Dear Stewart,

> It is the "falce and unperfect" aspect of modern editions, which
> make me want to look at facsimiles. I want to get as close as
> possible to the original text to learn as much as I can about the
> music. It's an academic thing, I suppose.

It is also admirably professional, and that may be what lies behind a lot of
the nastiness on this thread.  The fact that one and the same piece may
exist in several different versions and with several names is of vague
academic interest to me, but I have other cats to whip, as they say rather
picturesquely round here.  At my end of the scale, hopelessly looking for
pieces I can actually play and never finding the time to practice the ones
I've got, the couple of facsimiles I do have are of a more plastic
interest - I like looking at them.  I'm not in the least interested in
having something between a facsimile with that 'feel' and a retranscription,
i.e. a photocopy, unless it seems 'free', like the Kapsberger PDF which came
like a free gift in a cereal packet.  At that same end of the scale,
manuscripts would drive me mad.  It took me ages to sort out the one page
Willow Song that was floating around on the net, and it gave me great
pleasure, but even five pages would be a chore for me.

Put another way, and taking the gamut of the list which runs from the
professional to the rank amateur, how people see the facsimile is going to
be very different, and maybe it would not be a bad idea for the publishers
(seeing as two of them are on the list) to explain their market (and I don't
mean by this "justify their prices").  What a print run on the average
facsimile is, who buys it, etc.  From what Mr Reyermann said the cost of
production must be extremely difficult to recuperate if the market is
represented by lutelisters or even if it only represents a percentage of
players, but this isn't really just a matter of profit.  It would be of no
interest to publish something that wouldn't be bought because the price was
too high.  I may not be prepared to pay that price for that object, but that
simply proves that I am not part of the target public.

> snip< Certainly the quality
> varies from one publisher to the next. It seems ironic that Minkoff
> editions, which are often the most expensive, often have no
> editorial material, or at most a perfunctory list of contents.
> Perhaps they make up for that deficit by reproducing so much music.
> I have a facsimile edition of some baroque music published by
> Schott, much of which I can hardly read at all. Boethius facsimiles,
> on the other hand, are very legible, and have extremely useful
> editorial material - concordances, information on dating,
> watermarks, etc. Editions Ophee have useful information supplied by
> the editors too, and the quality of the paper is excellent.

Perhaps perversely, I think I would want a facsimile to be just that, with
nothing else added.  Good paper, yes, and as clear a print as the original
allows, but nothing esle in the volume itself.  I've got what I find a nice
idea which could have been done better in a Marin Marais suite.  A modern
edition with a realisation of the figured bass, and in it are tucked the two
facsimiles.

> The Welde facsimile is not yet ready to be published, but we are
> well on the way. My wish is that people should be able to read every
> note in the facsimile, including the notes which are now invisible,
> and so we propose including in the introduction detailed information
> about illegible passages. I don't know if this has ever been done
> before, at least to the extent we propose doing.

Aha! a sort of 'time machine facsimile' - I bet you're enjoying doing it.

Yours,

Tony