David and Vance, and all,

And this too shall pass (we hope).

David expresses concern as to the reaction of "newbies" to the controversy
that has nothing to do with playing. And thinks of the reactions of more
contemplative long term members of the list.

May I offer some experience. Fifteen years ago, before the "web" was the
"web", but long after the on-line services started, I was a manager of a
technical advice site on Delphi. A good group of people mixed among the
"newbies" and the "cognoscenti". No flaming, all good help at whatever level
needed. I think I'm probably still listed as "manager" on that site, the
last time I looked I still was. But I haven't been there in seven years.

The flamers and the "I know the best thing for you" types burdened the
message board with a flood we couldn't contain, the competition was from
sites that had "my board is better than your board" arguments, and our
sponsor went Web Side.

This is a good list, just as is my harp list. As an email list server it has
the option of control, although it properly doesn't use it excessively. Had
I entered this group as a newbie on a web site I would have been gone within
a week, the foolishness of the details of facsimiles being a bore, and a
nuisance. But this list has so many good people who have helped me that this
newbie is happy. Yet, and I'll not distinguish David and Vance here, as they
say the same thing in different words - had I not been who I am, and not
been obsessed with making my Jerry Brown "lute" kit into a machine that
could play lute music properly, and had not I gotten some early responses of
encouragement - then I would have been "out of here", a bunch of people
arguing about the nature of facsimiles rather than the sounds of the music.
Thank the Lord (whichever one you choose) that I chose to stay with it. I
have found a willing crew on the list who are helping me. Had I merely
looked at the initial postings I saw I might have left, and then my "lute"
might have remained a "lutar", now it will be a lute, even if it has a flat
back. A matter of stringing, judicious adjustment of the details, and
whatever.

Best, Jon