At 12:32 PM 12/9/2003 -0800, Howard Posner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matanya Ophee at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > May be you are right. May be I should have been more specific and say that
> > these comments were "an indication of a general feelings
> > [sic] of malaise regarding tablature" in France at the specific time frame
> > of 1697 to 1716. And thank you for the [sic]. Fixed it.
>
>Even so, I think you'd be making too much of them.  It normally takes at
>least six comments to establish an official general feeling of malaise, but
>of course it requires a bit more among the French, who are looser with their
>opinions.

I think you got something there, but I am not sure you want to pursue this
argument to its inevitable conclusion. The main problem we all have in
historical research, is that there are not too many extant sources for any
particular issue, and more often than not, conclusions are arrived at by
extrapolation of the available data. What was the term for that concept?
Postmodern Phenomenological Deconstructivism  or something like that. Give
you an example.

There are a few documentary sources which established that in a double
octave course on the baroque guitar, the high octave string was on the side
of the thumb. There are no sources which indicate that this course was ever
played by itself, without the associated bourdon. That has not stopped an
entire movement of baroque guitarists to assume that it was in fact meant
to be so played. Are they making too much of it? and then, too much of what?

And then take the issue of iconographic evidence in which no one is able to
state if the picture was made by the artist in reference to a real live
musician, or in reference to a staged model who had no idea about lute
technique, or in reference to another picture in which the matter of
placing the hands, fingers, course, frets etc, was determined by the artist
in what can be best described as artistic licence. There has been a
tremendous amount of traffic in this list about such issues, often based on
one or two pictures. Are we making too much of it?

here is one picture you may not have seen before:

http://www.orphee.com/lute/lute-player.jpg

I cna just imagine the sort of conclusions that can be made of it.

So, with the addition of the Milleran quote furnished by Fred, we now have
three commentaries by French musicians about the dangers of tablature to
the general musicianship of the player.

It could be said, and I would not be able to argue against it, that each of
these musicians, Milleran, Perrine and Campion were not talking as
witnesses of their time, but only expressing their own personal bias. If we
accept this point of view, we then must accept that every single musician
of the time was acting as an individual with an axe to grind and not as an
impartial observer of society. Accepting such a view would require us to
discard about 90% of what we have come to regard as the basic tenets of HIP
performance.

>One analogy would be the periodic copyright/upload/download flareups we have
>around here.  An observer might extrapolate from the heat and number of the
>posts that it's a huge hot-button issue, but in fact perhaps 95% of the lute
>listers expressed no opinion at all, and may have no strong opinion on the
>subject.

Excellent analogy. Which, if carried to its logical conclusion, would tell
us that we have no way of knowing what was the opinion, performance
practice, musical output of all those musicians who never posted anything
on the bandwidth of the Renaissance and baroque period. Bach and Weiss are
the greatest? of course they are, because they have been some of the more
prolific posters of their time. But what do we know about the lute works of
lesser figures such as Graupner, Buxtehude, Froberger, etc? and by etc. I
mean all those composers whose existence in the time frame is not even
known. Some of them manage to sneak through and come up to the surface once
in a while, many, and we have no idea how many exactly, never do.

They never wrote anything for the lute? perhaps. But we shall never know
for sure, What we do know for sure is that no such works by them is known
to exist. IOW, they could have been lurkers.

>I have no statistical data worth knowing.  But I can hardly miss things like
>the increase in lute players making a living performing, mostly as continuo
>players; the way that theorbos, archlutes and guitars are taken for granted
>in baroque ensembles and recordings, the publicity push Harmonia Mundi USA
>has thrown behind Paul O'Dette, or the presence of O'Dette and Stubbs as
>directors of the Boston Early Music Festival.

The increase you notice is not in the number of players, but in the number
of early music ensemble. Back in the old days there was the Noah Greenberg
group, and not much else. As for the performing and recording lutenists, I
would wager that between Michel Podolsky, Eugen Dombois, Suzanne Bloch,
Stanley Buetens, Konrad Raggosnig, Walter Gerwig, Julian Bream and Narciso
Yepes, to mention the better known lutenists of the previous generations,
there were just as many professional lute performers then as there are today.

>You'll note that you and I are focusing on two different things: you on the
>players of solo music, and I on their place in the larger musical world.

But the good question is if these ensemble players actually make a living
at playing continuo, or are they simply called on for an occasional gig. Do
you know any particular lutenist who makes a full time living doing that?

>Perhaps the difference is in seeing the lute world as essentially a subset
>of the guitar world or as a subset of the early music world.

Depends of who is doing the seeing. If it is the guitar world or the early
music world looking at the lute, perceptions may vary. Many guitarists
would be also excellent lute players, and obviously they would regard the
lute as subset of the guitar. On the other hand, some of them may regard
the guitar as a subset of the lute. As for the early music world, I am not
so sure. The fact that Stubbs and O'Dette are directing the BEMF, is
wonderful news, but how many other such festivals world wide are directed
by lutenists?

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.