> You'll note that you and I are focusing on two different things: you on the
> players of solo music, and I on their place in the larger musical world.
> Perhaps the difference is in seeing the lute world as essentially a subset
> of the guitar world or as a subset of the early music world.

The problem is that guitar players usually don't accept the fact that
the lute is an instrument on it's own. The guitar is something
comepletly different - not like traverso and Boehm flute or oboe or the
baroque violin and the modern violin which show some "evolution" -
better term maybe would be "Adaption on the actual taste" - but the lute
is a very different instrument with a very different role in music
history, usage etc.
It's simply completly wrong to look at the guitar as
"evolution/development" of the lute.
Both instruments are related like vihuela and lute are or rebec and
violin ...

The longer I play the lute the more I am convinced that the idea of
Segovia and the likes who searched for some "worth of playing" music and
thought to have found it in the renaissance lute/vihuela music were not
helpfull for the lute in the sense of helping the lute (which actually
wasn't their goal - so no fault - they wanted to help the guitar. Today
the situation is completely different)

Thomas

--
Thomas Schall