Matanya Ophee at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> the fact remains that within 19 years after the appearance of
> the Perrine book, Campion stated that the lute was done for. That is a
> fairly powerful statement

The translated excerpt in your article says the lute has declined (or is in
decline, or is declining) which is not the same thing; also it seems to say
that the theorbo and guitar are doing well.  It is not a model of clarity.

> and we really have only one way to verify it. How
> many lute books in tablature were printed for general consumption between
> 1697 and 1716?

I'd think you'd want to know about after 1716.

> And I would suggest that manuscripts that can be dated to that time period
> are not a reliable measure of the popularity of the instrument. A
> manuscript would indicate a single owner, or a succession of a single
> owners over time. A printed book indicates an existing market.

Maybe.  This opens up a whole new subject, and a fascinating one.  It's
clear enough that publication indicates a perceived market (or, less likely,
that the musician or patron had money to burn), but it is not always true
that lack of publication shows the absence of a market.  I'm sure that a
musician as famous as Weiss could have sold published editions, since less
famous lutenists did, but outside of one piece in Telemann's Getreue
Music-Meister, he never did.  Why not?

Maybe the answer can be found in Vivaldi, the most famous musician of the
late baroque, who stopped publishing his music about 1730 (he had a dozen or
so opus numbers out by 1730) because he could make more money selling
manuscripts.  This is much like a famous graphic artist selling
one-of-a-kind or limited-edition works instead of publishing or
mass-producing them.  Rarity drives up the price.

And of course, some famous players (as late as Paganini) wanted to keep
their music to themselves, regarding it as a trade secret.

This is all by way of question rather than answer.  Anyway, we can be making
a mistake if evaluate the economics of music dissemination in other times
with the assumptions of our own time.

I don't know, BTW, what the numbers of lute manuscripts and publications in
18th-century France or elsewhere were.  I do know that if Campion was
prophesying the end of the lute, he'd be proven right by about 1800.

HP