Dear friends,

   I  am  not convinced at all, whether one has to label "Valen= cian" or
   even  "Spanish"  the  system  used  by Milan. Besides the tablature of
   Melchiore  de  Barberiis  = from Padova, mention by Stewart, there are
   some  other  examples,  although even m= uch later ones, which use the
   same system, but have nothing to do with Spain:<= /span>

   -  formerly Vesoul Ms. 711 (France) unfortunately disappeared du= ring
   the WW II.

   -  25  pieces  as  ms. additions to the Munich copy of Adrian Denss= '
   Florilegium  (1594)  Munich,  Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, 2o Mus. pr.
   93.<= /div>
   - Another lost ms. which once in the posession of the Polish sc= holar
   A. Polinski
   It seems, that that we have better to call this kind of tablatu= re to
   a variant of the so called italian tablature.
   Best regards, Peter---------------------
   Peter Kir=E1ly
   Glockenstr. 34
   D-67655 Kaiserslautern