> At 10:29 AM 4/20/2005, Roman Turovsky wrote:
>> The differences between slender lutes's shells like Schelle, Tielke, Frei
>> are so visually insignificant, that luthiers do as they please with their
>> nomenclatures. And the best ones' designs are original rather than slavish
>> copies.
>

> This topic is somewhat interesting to me.  At what point does an original
> design cease to be a reproduction of an early instrument and become
> something new?
It doesn't have to be something new. Putting a Jauch pegbox on a Hoffmann
shell is insufficiently radical to qualify as new, even if it is a definite
improvement.

When will big, flat-backed lutes built for renaissance
> tuning and incorporating Kasha/Schneider bracing systems and bridge designs
> sweep the lute world?  Why not use geared tuners?  Etc?
Has been exhaustively discussed. Let's not whip this beached salmon back to
life.
RT